Tuesday

Tagged

I've been tagged by Nancy to share 7 facts about myself--some random, some weird--and to "present an image of martial discord (as in "war," not as in "marriage") from whatever period or situation you’d like." Well, if the topic is martial, let's have seven martial facts about me:

1. In my family I'm the third generation Milton to serve as a U.S. Army officer during the greatest national conflict of his young adulthood--and never hear a shot fired in anger.
2. My hometown of Oak Ridge, Tennessee, was built to win World War II--and it did.
3. While working at one of the Department of Energy facilities on Oak Ridge, I was eyewitness to a huge battle of tiny ants--hundreds of thousands of mandibles locked in mortal combat on a patio behind our office building. It was going full throttle when I went home one Friday afternoon, and some of the fighting was still going on the following Monday morning. As I recall, the brown-and-blacks beat the dark browns.
4. As the result of a losing battle with a lawnmower, I now have only 6 2/3 toes.
5. Even after I told them about the accident, the National Guard tried to get me back into the military as a chaplain.
6. I'm an admiral in the Nebraska Navy.
7. I'm on record with the U.S. Navy as a conscientious objector (before going on to serve in the National Guard and Army Reserve).

Now, let's see: "martial discord"? Isn't all war inherently discordant? Take your pick.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i did not know about the nebraska navy until i read your fact #6 and then looked it up.

i see mark spitz is also in the n.n., and i thought i would mention that since the olympic games are going on right now.

August 14, 2008 7:07 PM  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Yes, it's not all that well known, but it is kind of fun. Peace.

August 14, 2008 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home